Wednesday, September 29, 2010

High Maintenance

I understand that on a day-to-day basis I could be called a relatively high-mainentance kind of gal. I mean, I'm into wearing cute clothes, doing my makeup every day and having my hair done as regularly as my pocketbook allows. But I also tend to pride myself in being one of those people who doesn't have to be fancy to exist happily in the world. In India I went for an entire month without a stitch of makeup and questionable levels of cleanliness (let's just say in India, after you shower in that water, you don't feel clean for very long). As such, I don't generally have that difficult of a time with the notion of packing light (22 pounds is the suggested weight) for the third world country scenario. But this time is proving exceedingly difficult because I'm going to Ireland at the end of trip. Not only would I like to look cute (and generally not like a dirty hippy), but it's going to be winter. That means sweaters. And toiletries. Have you ever gathered all of your toileteries and general mainenance products in one pile together? If you have, you may know what I'm talking about. I'm finding it exceedingly disturbing at the level of my current personal maintenance requirements. Who knew it takes that many products to beautify one person? But my main concern is that everything is NOT going to fit in my bag. Eek, whatever shall I do? No matter what, I'm getting on the plane, so I'll have to figure it out. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Katie Rose, I had the exact same struggle packing for our European Adventures! I didn't want to be that asshole who brings her flat iron, blow dryer, makeup bag, and a zillion outfits. BUT, I also didn't want to look like a scrubby jackass hippy in every picture. However, it become clear very quickly that because I had packed so much crap, my bag was heavy, which meant I arrived at any new destination looking and smelling like I hadn't showered our beautified for a month. Moral of the story: pack light and rely on natural beauty.

    Also, rely on your cousin in England for any last-minute items you may need before Ireland.

    ReplyDelete