Friday, October 1, 2010

"They're Taking Me to Marrakech"

So today's the day. We depart in the early evening from SF, so we'll head off in about an hour here. I was able to get out of work relatively early yesterday (which was actually later than usual, but I had an event downtown to go to and bunch of work to wrap up), so I was able to get a lot of stuff together last night. This morning was a hussle to get all the final things together, weigh my bag (31.2 pounds, fyi) and do a last minute Target run (I love you, Target!). So here I am, with a bit of extra time on my hands, which is kind of scary - it's like Project Runway, the one guy who finishes early and is sitting around eating bon bons always ends up getting his ass handed to him on a plate. I don't want to be that guy. But, truth be told, I think I've got what I need. And I'm not leaving civilization am I? am I?

Whenever I tell a non-family member (or anyone else who hasn't known me or the family all that long) about our Morocco trip, I am inevitably faced with the question, "why are you going there?" Which is a fair enough question. Most people with limited amounts of vacation time generally utilize it lounging on a beach with a cocktail and a masseuse named Juan, not in a third world country, being harassed by men who've never heard the term "womens lib." That being said, there is actually a reason that we're going and, of course, it's really all about my dad.

In the 1970s, when my dad finished school, he went to Europe (a much dodgier place than it is today), bought a VW bus and drove around for nine months, traveling and being a vagrant who lived in a bus (but a well-educated one). He and some people he was traveling with took the ferry to Morocco and went a-touring. It was dangerous and scary by all accounts, and after a while, they decided to leave. They made it to Fez and a number of other places, but never actually made it to Marrakech.

Which would be fine, except, if anyone has ever met my parents and discussed music of the 1970s, you would have undoubtedly gotten to the subject of Crosby, Stills and Nash, whose self-titles album is "so great" that mom actually owned two copies of the album because she wore out the first one listening to it. Suffice it to say, dad equally loves the album, particularly the song, "Marrakech Express." Ever since hearing that song, dad has regretted that he has never been to Marrakech. It's been in his mind for thirty years. So when he retired, you better believe it was on the top of his list off places to see. So here we are, fulfilling dad's lifelong desire to go to Marakech. Will we ride the Marrakech Express? Seeing as how we don't even know if the Marrakech Express actually exists, it's hard to say. But we will definitely be on our way to Marrakech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4r_HWWQyCs

4 comments:

  1. oh holy moses, i was literally just thinking about this today- WHEN are they going to morocco! Sigh, I can't wait to picture you being just a bit of land away instead of a whole ocean.
    Katie rose. I love to read your blog. It just sounds so much like you it makes me burst with happiness.
    I hope the flight isn't death inducing. Africa is far.
    I love you ever so ever so much. Have a great time!!!!!!!!! A GREAT TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly!

    Katie! I'm so excited for you guys to go to Marrakesh. It's a great town, but as I'm sure you read in your books, beware of the "guides". Some guy hassled us telling us that what we wanted was closed, took us to his spice shop, and then we found the place we originally wanted, but it was actually open. Fun stuff. Anyways...food is super yummy! haggling never makes me feel comfortable. Overall...it's definitely a load for the senses...and PS there's like no street signs, so trust your reading map skills sans street names.
    Can't wait to hear about your adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My host mom from France went to Morocco when I was in Grenoble and I was totally jealous of her trip. I hope you have tons of fun. It seems like a really cool place. Jessica Simpson went there on price of beauty, so obviously it's legit!

    Be safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love you guys, its prety cool here so far; e are on a tour, so more safe than usual. i miss you all so much!

    ReplyDelete