Saturday, August 22, 2009

Amsterdam

Emily and I spent a pretty uneventful night in Cologne. Most of the city was destroyed in the war except for the big Cathedral which, after almost 2 months in Europe wasn't much to write home about. The rest of the city is big and generic and in general, I can't see going back any time soon. So on to Amsterdam....

I've had a lot of thoughts about being in Amsterdam. Most people, when you mention that you are going to Amsterdam smile and give a knowing look, as in 'I know why you're really going to Amsterdam!' and sure, while there is the whole coffee shop culture, I feel that it is an unfair assessment of the city as a whole. Amsterdam is an incredibly beautiful city with a rich history of tolerance. After walking around much of it, it makes me think twice about the way pot is viewed. While I do agree that it is probably a better use of the government's time and money to focus on harder drugs to crack down on, I find that much of the marijuana culture sullies the rest of the city. I think this happens in part because the city has become a haven for people coming to smoke, rather than just a city in which pot is tolerated. I think about a place like San Francisco and the people there who would like to see pot legalized, but after being in Amsterdam, I think I would be opposed to it. To federally address the subject is something different, but I would hate to see San Francisco's beautiful streets and cafes fill up with people who were just interested in doing drugs.

1 comment:

  1. I get what your talking about with the pot. From what I hear Amsterdam is known for worse things - did you see any of the "girls by the hour" store fronts? I can't believe that stuff actually happens these days.
    So at least we got a good account of the DRINKING you're doing. And thank you for mentioning the food...even as down-played as presented! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete