Thursday, July 23, 2009

Splish Splash I Was Taking a Bath

I've always been a bit hesitant with the idea of a going to a bath. I don't mean actually bathing, I tend to do that on occasion with no problem. I mean bath as in ROMAN BATH. The thought always conjures up the thought of lots of steam, old naked people, and too much body hair...ick! So when I read in the Rick Steves' book that going to the baths in Budapest was THE thing to do, I was ready to pass...I'm just not a fan of public nudity (especcially in the bright shiny light of day). But Rick assured me that I could keep my bathing suit on, so with a bit of hesitation we went off to the Budapest Baths.

I think a better descriptor of a bath is really just a public pool. I was able to keep my bathing suit on the whole time and basically go from pool to pool and lounge in the water. There are baths ranging form very cold (I skipped those) to very hot. I must say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. Even though I ended up with a bit of an unfortunately looking burn as well as a cut on my foot, I don't regret having done it. One of the best parts was the whirlpools that have jets that shoot you around the pool in a big circle. Everyone, young and old loved to be zipped around a giant pool, myself included.

3 comments:

  1. omg rick reccomended a mineral bath in this german town that i was really excited about- and even considered doing naked to get the whole experience. but i hadn't brought a swimsuit. rick SAID that they had suimsuit rentals available (how european). but they totally didn't. and everything was in german. and there were like confusing tickets to buy, and this strange giant yellow box thing that i think must have been like a sauna. i wandered around the lobby for ten minutes trying to talk to several germans before i became flustered and gave up. i envy your successful rick-related bath. minus injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roman bath houses conjur up naked old people and too much body hair? Well, I always think of what the Romans actually DID in those bath houses...mostly men having sex with each other. Sounds like you didn't see any of that! Good that you kept your bathing suit on.
    Leaving tomorrow for a weekend with Mikey and Velear. I will be sipping fine wine (Del Dotto tour tomorrow) and staying at the Marriott - I think their beds are good! No rock sleeping for me...goal - sleep in! ;o)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really awesome! Shelly, I too, heard about said bathing suit rentals and was a little squeamish myself. I'm not too into putting my crotch where a stranger recently put theirs so I'm packing my swimsuit. Glad to see you had funny Katie!

    ReplyDelete